There’s nothing quite like a 20-minute sweat session in a sauna. You feel more relaxed and rested after you’re done, and the heat helps relieve sore muscles and improves your overall health and well-being.
But if the high temperatures of a traditional sauna are just too much for you to handle, an infrared sauna may offer the benefits of a sauna without the extreme heat.
What is an infrared sauna?
Unlike a traditional sauna, infrared saunas don’t heat the air around you. Instead, they use infrared lamps (that use electromagnetic radiation) to warm your body directly.
“These saunas use infrared panels instead of conventional heat to easily penetrate human tissue, heating up your body before heating up the air, Infrared saunas typically operate at a lower temperature (usually between 50˚C and 60˚C) than a traditional sauna, which is typically between 65˚C and 85˚C..
Infrared Saunas are infinitely more efficient as only about 20 percent of the heat goes to heat the air and the other 80 percent directly heats your body, furthermore the heat penetrates more deeply than warmed air allowing you to experience a more intense sweat at a lower temperature.
Studies show that this environment is more tolerable, which allows you to stay in the sauna longer while increasing your core body temperature by two to three degrees.